If someone close to you has recently passed away, you may have been named as Executor in their Will or be the right person to act as Administrator, if there is no Will. Unless you have been placed in this position before, you may have no idea what to do and where to start.
As Executor or Administrator, you are responsible for gathering in the deceased’s assets and paying them out in accordance with the Will or, if there is no Will, according to the Rules of Intestacy. This is a very important role with great responsibility and there are often legal and tax issues to be taken into account.
Hetts have a long established team of qualified solicitors and experienced support staff, who are here to help. We understand that this is a difficult time for all concerned and we can advise you as to how to proceed and assist in the administration as required, in particular:
- Checking the validity of Wills and Codicils
- If there is no Will, applying the Rules of Intestacy to identify Personal Representatives and Beneficiaries
- Preparation and filing of tax returns
- Payment of Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax
- Correspondence with HM Revenue & Customs
- Applying for a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration
- Gathering of assets, payment of debts and distribution of the net estate
We only charge for the work we do and we provide as little or as much help as you need. Sometimes, the partners in Hetts Solicitors may have been appointed Executors in the Will. When this happens, we always work closely with the family throughout and at no additional cost to the estate.